I've been here before. A couple of times. I really didn't think I'd ever be here again. I've lost the same 80 lbs twice before, and the last time I went through this, I was SURE it would be the last time. Sure, I gained a little of it back, but I was able to keep the rest of it off for a couple of years. Even when my husband lost his job and then was diagnosed with cancer -- through everything it took to get him back to healthy. Okay, I gained some more back during that time, but I knew I could take it back off again and keep it off - no problem.
Then The Cancer came back last June. We went through surgery, radiation and chemo all over again, and were able to schedule my husband's final treatment for the last week in December, so we were able to start a year (decade!) with no Cancer. All the scans he's had since then have come back clean, but during that time I wound up with a prescription against depression. It has definitely helped my mood, but I also think it contributed to my gaining the rest of the weight back. "Contributed," not "caused" - believe me, I know I was the one who ate everything I did to get back to where I am!
During this time, I discovered and fell in love with belly dancing. It is now a large part of my life (you'd think I'd be skinnier!) and I do perform, and am a part of a couple of troupes. The ladies I dance with are a wonderful group of people, and they accept me for who I am. Even so, I have to admit that if I'd started dancing at the weight I am currently, I seriously doubt I'd be performing at all.
So I'm finally ready to take it seriously again. I know there will be frustrations, I know there will be setbacks. Hopefully, with dancing as a part of my journey, I really won't have to travel this path again...!
OK, I am following your blog now!
ReplyDeleteI started at your most recent post and have made it back this far (so far) and I had to tell you that I am going to a free trial class for bellydance beginners on Sunday!
I signed up for it a few wks ago!
I hope you have a wonderful time at the belly dance class -- let us know how it goes!!! I'll be anxious to hear! :D
ReplyDelete