Friday, January 21, 2011

Good Thursday Check-In! (Which Includes a Shameless Plug...)

I had a good day today!  It was the first day of the term for the dance classes I teach, and it looks like it will be a fun group of students.  :D  Like Tuesday, the first (beginning) class was about half talking and half dancing, but the second (intermediate) class was the All Me show -- I don't have assistants in my classes, so I have to be On the entire time.  It's definitely a lot of fun, and it's definitely a workout, and I can definitely tell it's been a long break since the last term ended!  I might be feeling it tomorrow...

(Warning: shameless plug ahead) 

If you have ever thought about trying belly dancing, I highly recommend finding a class to take, rather than a video or DVD.  Sure, you'll learn the moves with a video/DVD, but the whole experience is so different and so much better in a class.  There's so much more energy in a dance class, and you have the camaraderie of the other people taking the class with you which you wouldn't get by just doing a video/DVD.  And if you have questions, there's someone right there to answer them for you!  :)

There are women of all shapes, sizes and ages who take the classes, and they/we are all just there to do some/a lot of moving and have some/a lot of fun.  They have widely varying degrees of skill, coordination and grace (and body images...), all of which will improve as they go through the classes.  In other words, ordinary women from all walks of life.  Case in point: Me!  A dance teacher who is (according to the BMI charts) "severely obese?"  PLEASE don't tell me you think you're too fat to dance.  DOES NOT FLY with me, of all people!  Check your local Rec center (that's where I teach!) or community college for affordable classes, or find a studio that offers classes, and be daring, be brave - give it a try!  You might surprise yourself!  ;)

(End of shameless plug)

I took in 1170 calories, and 144 oz. fluid (again with the Propel) along with my usual mug of coffee, and danced for about an hour and a half.  So it was a good day, and now I need to scooch myself off to bed.  G'night, all!

4 comments:

  1. I'm new to your post. Hi.
    I like the "end of shameless plug" funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scheduling at the belly-dancing place near me doesn't work for me right now, but I think there will be a difference schedule come summer so I'll be looking because I really want to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was absolutely convinced that everyone would laugh at the fat chick when I walked into my first class.

    No only did no one laugh, I wasn't the only large woman there. And everyone was nice, welcoming, and wanted me to share in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, The Merry, for that (completely unsolicited!) testimonial! I'm SO glad you had such a good experience -- that's exactly the atmosphere I'm striving for in my classes! :D

    FAB - I really hope it works out for you - I really think you'll enjoy it!

    Laurie - Welcome! I try to amuse! ;D

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you're thinking!